Club app icon

Pitchero Club

The best way to keep up to date with Bury St Edmunds RUFC


1st XV - Match centre

Bury St Edmunds
Sat 4 Feb 14:00 - RFU National League - National League 2 South Full time Attendance 690

Cornish Pride!

Bury claimed a deserved losing bonus point at a rain lashed Redruth.

Bury claimed a deserved losing bonus point at a rain lashed Redruth.
Having travelled 375 miles to West Cornwall on the back of two recent poor performances, it was the least the Wolfpack deserved for a stirring performance against all the odds.
Skipper Tom Rock had called on the side to produce a performance and a performance they gave, full of heart, passion and commitment, so frustratingly missing in recent weeks.
Redruth, on a great run of form had edged their way up to third in the league and at the famous hell fire corner would have been expected to roll over a Bury side low on confidence. Early skirmishes did not look good and when Redruth hooker Luis Phillips was bundled over after just 7 minutes the mood matched the dark clouds overhead.
As the heavens opened up and with referee Ben Spencer seemingly intent on dishing out cards with gay abandon, 2 to Bury 1 to Redruth it looked a long hard day ahead for the visitors. Redruth declined a straight forward kick at goal to go for a try in the famous hell fire corner. Bury defended valiantly but the Reds stayed composed to power lock Shaun Buzza over from close range to open up a 10 point lead.
From there on in the game slowly switched from home superiority to parity to Bury finally in control!
As the rain increased it was Bury who seemed to adapt best. The Bury defence was organised and more disciplined than the opening 20 minutes. Anderson – Brown box kicked well, the back three positioned themselves well in defence and No 8 Enzo Comin was outstanding at driving the ball away from scrums
Whilst Redruth slowly went into their shell and began to look ponderous, Bury seemed to rise in confidence the longer the half went on… No more evident than in the tactical kicking battle! Whilst Bury via McBride and Lyle kicked low angled tactical ground gainers, Redruth merely ballooned the ball in the air to be then sent back further than where they started from .
Both sides tried to create opportunities for a score but all too often the conditions got the better of the battle and little knock ons or fumbles cost both sides the chance of scoring.
Both sides returned to the park in different attire….Bury in their voluminous change kit, Redruth now in Black, however the constant rain had meant playing conditions would only worsen.
Both teams understandably struggled to hold on to the ball, but as the half drew on Bury slowly began to assert themselves. Bury had the better of a bout of aerial ping pong, setting themselves off on a series of drives that Redruth struggled to deal with and Lyle made them pay with a well struck penalty when they transgressed at a ruck.
Redruth as one would expect with such a proud heritage pushed Bury hard but with Enzo Comin making yards off the scrum and the Bury back three of Lyle, Mellet and McBride fielding numerous Cornish missiles comfortably, one began to think that Bury could add to their score.
Performance, that is what the coaches cried out for and that is what they got! Redruth pushed, but Bury met them head on and forced them to spend increasingly longer periods in their own half.
Tom Rock, led by example, Cai Griffith off the bench making a serious impact at the set piece, Lyle & McBride solid at the back, Andreson – Brown doing well to the ball away, often in difficult conditions, the commitment form 1 – 20 was supreme.
Redruth tried to break out and push Bury back but the Bury lineout, led superbly by Whetton, often affected a turn over and from one such stolen line out Bury launched a series of attacks that gave Lyle the chance to land another penalty , but sadly it drifted agonisingly wide.
And so the game went on… even stevens affair, the wet and mud dominating but Bury more than holding their own!
Bury crept into the Redruth half and entertained hopes of scoring an equalising try, but couldn’t quite engineer a genuine scoring opportunity. Then with just 5 mins to go, suddenly it was Redruth with a final burst of steam, threatening to score again and take away from Bury what would be a hard earned bonus point.
Redruth laid siege to the Bury line. It would have been cruel on the visitors if the hosts had crossed again and they defended a series of pick and drives close to their line valiantly. The spirit and composure, so sadly lacking in recent weeks was there in abundance and the Wolfpack dug in, refused to yield and deservedly earned their losing bonus point as referee Ben Spencer ended proceedings.

Apologies for no photos....conditions did not make for an amateur snapper!

Team selection

Team selection has not been published for this fixture yet.

League round up

Other National League 2 South results

London Irish WG


Loading comments

League table

# Team Pl Pts
9. Henley Hawks 30 75
10. Clifton 30 70
11. Bury St Edmunds 30 65
12. Worthing 30 53
13. London Irish WG 30 52
14. Barnstaple 30 51
15. Barnes 30 51

Team sponsors


Club sponsors