Club app icon

Pitchero Club

The best way to keep up to date with Bury St Edmunds RUFC


1st XV - Match centre

Bury St Edmunds
Sat 7 Oct 14:00 - RFU National - National League 2 South Full time

Oh so close!

Bury returned the 375 miles from deepest Cornwall with a feeling of three points lost rather than one point gained.

National 2
Redruth 12 Bury St Edmunds 9
Bury returned the 375 miles from deepest Cornwall with a feeling of three points lost rather than one point gained.
It is a mark of how far this side has come since the start of the season that they left “Hellfire” frustrated at what might have been.
Once again heavy rain preceded the kick off and the game was played in horrible conditions as squally showers regularly swept across the Recreation Ground. Inevitably it meant that both sides would suffer on occasions from errors, crucially for Bury it cost them just when it mattered most!
Having weathered an early Cornish onslaught, Bury got into their stride. A half break by Chris Lord got the visitors behind the defence and after going through several phases the inevitable penalty arrived when a Redruth player strayed off side. McBride duly landed the kick from straight in front of the posts.
The penalty prompted the heavens to open once more and the Redruth forwards revelled in driving a maul up to the Bury 22. This time Bury were penalised but instead of going for goal Webber kicked into the legendary Hellfire Corner. The line out functioned and a disorganised Wolfpack were unable to prevent former player Loma Kivalu being driven over from 5metres.
Rule could not land the conversion but his side now led 5 – 3.
The Reds now enjoyed their best period of the game. With the home forwards in the ascendancy they once again forced Bury to defend in their own 22. Not straight at the line out gave Redruth an attacking scrum 10metres out. The first forays from the scrum were thwarted but with every attempt they got closer to the line and inevitably flanker Chris Fuca was given enough space to squeeze over. Webber took over the kicking duties and slotted the conversion….12 – 3.
The closing ten minutes of the half however saw a real shift in the balance of power. The Bury forwards really began to turn the screw. The line out was pressurised into errors and Coutts and Smith were dominating the scrummage. Further out Brown and the outstanding Stapleton were to the fore getting through countless tackles, rucks and drives.
McBride’s clever kick saw Redruth forced to concede a 5metre scrum. The Home pack were penalised and Bury elected to do it again. Corcoran burst in off his wing to take the ball from the scrum but was stopped just short! Then Stanley was held up over the line when he too looked like he would reduce the deficit.
It looked like Bury were going to come away with nothing for their endeavours but with the last play of the half a high tackle allowed McBride to land his second penalty and make the score 12 – 6 at the break.
Bury had finished well but went on to dominate the second half, but crucially could not quite convert possession into points!
The Wolfpack made their intentions clear from the offset. A fantastic driving maul covered fully 25 metres before it was illegally halted! Unfortunatley McBride’s kick slid wide.
However, Bury were not going to let Redruth escape easily. Another catch and drive looked good till a little knock on brought a promising attack to an end. Fraser Honey now on in his native county, showed his class picking a ball off his bootlaces to send Kohler racing away…However just when it looked like a score, the final pass to Corcoran didn’t go to hand.
Honey did narrow the gap on 13 minutes when a stretched defence infringed again and one assumed Bury would continue to mount the pressure to edge ahead.
The conditions however were hampering both sides’ attempts to create any meaningful chance. Bury were trying to exploit their dominance in the scrum and had the ball bounced kindly from Honey’s cross field kick, Lord would have had unchallenged run in….sadly not!
Over 25 minutes played and still Redruth had not been in the Bury half, but crucially Bury hadn’t made their territorial advantage count.
As the game entered the final ten minutes it began to get a little frantic. Both sides saw chances go begging due to knock ons at crucial times. Redruth looked like they were going to deny Bury anything from the game when they forced Bury to concede a penalty for hands in the ruck. Stapleton’s fine game ended early when he was sent to the bin for an illegal tackle and when the ball was kicked to 5m it looked ominous…
However, Stanley stole the line out and set Bury off on a downfield drive that seemed destined to grab an equalising score if not more! Anderson – Brown wriggled free and the forwards made several forays for the line. Sadly with a mis match on the right, the ball went left and an isolated Bury player was penalised for not releasing. With most people’s watches still showing 38 minutes played, it was a surprise to see Referee Sellwood advise Webber that he could kick the ball from the field to end the match.
Mixed emotions at the final whistle…
A point on the road at such a difficult venue would normally deemed acceptable, but having played so well and dominated so much of the second half it was frustrating to miss out on the win!
The challenges don’t get any easier as Bury host high scoring league leaders Taunton at The Haberden next Saturday.

Team selection

Team selection has not been published for this fixture yet.

League round up

Other National League 2 South results

London Irish Wild Geese
Henley Hawks
Worthing Raiders
Tonbridge Juddians


Loading comments

League table

# Team Pl Pts
6. Tonbridge Juddians 30 86
7. Worthing Raiders 30 81
8. Bury St Edmunds 30 77
9. Henley Hawks 30 73
10. Canterbury 30 72
11. Clifton 30 63
12. Old Redcliffians 30 58

Team sponsors


Club sponsors