Club app icon

Pitchero Club

The official Bury St Edmunds RUFC app


1st XV - Match centre

Bury St Edmunds
Worthing Raiders
Sat 21 Oct 15:00 - RFU National - National League 2 South Full time Attendance 451

A late flurry of points could not deny Bury a deserved win!

Fifteen points in the last 5 minutes earned the visitors two bonus points but in truth Bury had done more than enough to take the spoils after recovering from a lacklustre start.

National Division2
Bury St Edmunds 37 Worthing 30
A late flurry of points could not deny Bury a deserved win!
Fifteen points in the last 5 minutes earned the visitors two bonus points but in truth Bury had done more than enough to take the spoils after recovering from a lacklustre start.
It took almost 30 minutes for Bury to recover from a lacklustre start that saw them fall 15 – 3 down! It could be argued that Worthing’s first try after just 3 minutes was cruel luck on Bury and Chris Lord in particular as Mat Walsh’s High Box Kick took a horrible bounce to leave the Full Back flat on his back and allow Kemp Price the simple task of running the ball in.
However an out of sorts Bury struggled to raise the tempo to get back on terms with the visitors!
McBride and Maclean exchanged penalties but it was the Raiders who were looking the more potent in attack. Price scored his second try immediately from a restart as the Bury defenders gave too much space and time to the lively Worthing threequarters. Slick hands sent Maclean racing down the touchline and as he drew in the final cover defence, Price was on hand to round off a glorious score!
The score seemed to finally wake Bury from their slumber and in the closing moments of the half they managed to get two scores of their own to gain parity at the break. A stretched Worthing defence began to concede penalties. An attacking line out close to the Raiders line saw Dan Swithenbank react first to an over throw, gleefully diving over from 7 metres.
In a fast and open contest, both sides had half chances from interceptions but it was Bury that were now in control. Another penalty was kicked to the corner and again although the throw in gusty conditions did not go to hand, Scholes was on hand to tidy up and send Bury rumbling for the line. Worthing prop Hameed Ajayi saw Yellow as the referee lost patience with the penalty count and Bury made them pay. Talismanic flank forward Sean Stapleton burst through a ruck to go for the line and his outstretched arm just got the ball over the line. McBride’s conversion sent the sides in all square at the interval.
Bury were perhaps fortunate to be level but with a man advantage for the opening ten minutes of the second half they had the chance to gain control of the match…and indeed they did!
Ollie Smith and his team had clearly imparted some wisdom to the players at Half Time as The Wolfpack re emerged far more purposeful!
Worthing’s Kick Off did not go 10metres and from the resulting scrum the Raiders were penalised, immediately putting them under pressure in their own 22. Bury won the line out, drove in field three four times before cleverly switching the ball back for McBride and Kohler to show good hands to get Corcoran in by the corner flag.
All eyes were on Bury scrum half Matt Harrison and Worthing Fly Half Jack Forrest as they had played as school team mates last season, but it was Bury Fly Half and Skipper Liam McBride who upstaged them with an excellent display!
His high kick was well chased setting Bury off another speedy attack. Quick hands from the line out almost saw Conan Osborne score but he was bundled into touch by desperate Worthing defenders. However the Raiders respite was short lived and from the resulting line out Kohler wriggled through a gap to get behind the visiting defence. McBride and Lord took the ball up to and over the line and Boyd Rouse was on hand to force the ball down amongst a sea of Green and Blue shirts!
The yellow card had cost Worthing three tries, and swung the game irresistibly Bury’s way.
Harrison’s fine box kick almost engineered a score for Corcoran, but the strong wind just took the ball dead before the winger could catch up!
It was not all Bury however as No 8 Perkins and Scrum Half Walsh continually tried to get the Raiders going forward. It took the fantastic intervention of McBride to chase down Mcilwaine’s interception. Not only did he drag the man down but was then first to his feet to affect a turn over. The fly half was on hand again in the defensive line to earn Bury a scrum and with Coutts now off the bench and influencing, the Haberden faithful roared their forwards on!
Perkin’s again carried well from the back of a scrum to clear his side but back came Bury courtesy of an outrageous break by Second Row Will Scholes. The Lock burst through on half way and out paced several pursuits, the second row even had the audacity to try and dummy Full Back Leeming but he was hauled down just short. He had done enough however to force the Raiders to concede a penalty which McBride simply dispatched.
Worthing continued to plug away with their back line always looking dangerous, but a combination of silly mistakes allied to tigerish Bury defence brought no return.
On 70 minutes Bury thought they had put the game to bed when they scored their 5th try. A line out on the Worthing 25 was driven in field. Harrison spun off the side of the maul before deftly flicking a reverse pass for the on rushing Corcoran to race in for his second try.
37 – 15 ten minutes to go.., job done!
The proverbial foot was taken off the pedal and Worthing gladly took up the challenge to see if they could salvage anything from the game! Ulsterman Mcilwaine looked a real threat out wide and with Perkins driving his men on they engineered two tries in the final 5 minutes.
First Price completed his hat trick as the visitors pounced on a fumbled line out in the Bury 22 and then Perkins quick tap penalty sent Walsh in for his side’s 4th and bonus point earning try. 37 – 27 now, and still two minutes to play! Surely not… Well maybe. Kiba Richards who had been pretty quiet all game suddenly showed how dangerous he could be with ball in hand. He eluded several tacklers to get Worthing back into the Bury 22. A penalty for a high tackle was awarded and with no time left on the clock, Maclean wisely elected to kick the three points thus earning a second bonus point for his side.

Team selection

Team selection has not been published for this fixture yet.

League round up

Other National League 2 South results

London Irish Wild Geese
Tonbridge Juddians
Henley Hawks


Loading comments

League table

# Team Pl Pts
6. Tonbridge Juddians 30 86
7. Worthing Raiders 30 81
8. Bury St Edmunds 30 77
9. Henley Hawks 30 73
10. Canterbury 30 72
11. Clifton 30 63
12. Old Redcliffians 30 58

Team sponsors


Club sponsors