Club app icon

Pitchero Club

The official Bury St Edmunds RUFC app


1st XV - Match centre

Bury St Edmunds
Sat 28 Oct 15:00 - RFU National - National League 2 South Full time Attendance 270

What a Canterbury Tale!

Bury produced an incredible turn around in fortunes to storm to victory in Kent.

Canterbury 21 Bury St Edmunds 29
Bury produced an incredible turn around in fortunes to storm to victory in Kent.
In the proverbial game of two halves, Bury trailed 21 – 5 at the break only to score 4 unanswered tries in the second period.
It was quite a comeback from the Wolfpack that looked almost dead and buried at Half Time.
Canterbury with advantage of wind and slope had recovered well from going 5 points down after just 6 minutes to lead 21 – 5!
McBrides high kick bounced kindly back in to the Full Backs arms and he raced away left before finding Will Scholes up in support to canter over in the corner.
For the remainder of the half Canterbury were in control. Locks Cadman and Corker in particular were putting pressure on the Bury line out and proving effective ball carriers to boot! However it was in midfield where Bury really struggled to contain Murray and Tom Best. The two centres constantly broke the line causing Bury numerous problems.
Best’s storming break was stopped by a magnificent last gasp tackle by McBride but Murray was on his shoulder to dive over in the corner. Fly Half Oli Best converted well from wide out.
As Canterbury began to take control Bury began to concede penalties.., not good news when Scrum Half Dan Smart is a master of taking quick taps and speeding for the line.
His quick thinking caught Bury cold and although he was thwarted in reaching his own chip ahead, Best was on hand to pounce on the loose ball for a simple score.
14 – 5 and five minutes later Canterbury scored again! The Pilgrims were winning the war at the break down and forcing Bury to defend deeper and deeper. A series of attacks in the Bury 22 finally earned Canterbury a scrum 10metres out. The ball was sent blind and with the cover drawn in Howard was able to dive over by the flag. Best’s excellent conversion sent the hosts into the break 21 – 5 up
It had been one way traffic towards the end of the half and although Bury would now have slope and wind advantage it looked a long way back, they had been out paced and out muscled, a long 40 ahead!
To have any hope Bury needed to score first and after 9 minutes they did so!
There was a notable change to the intensity of Bury’s defence. Canterbury’s opening thrusts were easily dealt with and in fact Duplene almost scored after hacking through a fumbled Canterbury pass.
However it wasn’t long before Bury scored. Retaining possession they recycled the ball over and over again. The moves looked lateral but the Wolfpack stayed patient until an opening appeared for Scholes to waltz through from Harrisons flip pass. The lock showed good pace to make fully 40 metres before handing over to Conan Osbourne to finish the move!
It was difficult to fathom how the 15 in Green could be so different from the previous 40 minutes. Yes they used the elements well, but now they were dominating the possession charts and attacking with verve.
Lord’s final pass to Corcoran was unlucky to be adjudged forward as the winger raced away for a try but it wasn’t long before Bury got within touching distance.
Browne fielded a Canterbury clearance kick well and drove back into the Home side half. Man of the Match Stapleton then drove through three attempted tackles to get Bury on the front foot and swift hands along the back line this time did see Corcoran race in. Honey’s conversion meant the score was 21 – 19 and anyone’s game.
Except that it wasn’t! Whether Canterbury’s first half exertions had tired them or whether it was improved midfield defence by the visitors, there was only one team looking like scoring again.
Another fumble under pressure by Canterbury saw the ball turned over and moments later Fraser Honey could not quite believe how much space he was given. The Fly Half ghosted through, fixed the last defender and through a long pass out to Lord who was never going to be caught by the chasing defence.
25 minutes and Bury had gone from despair to delight.
Canterbury tried to respond but Stapleton led a superb defensive effort. Chop tackles stopped the big runners at source, pressure at the breakdown forced fumbles and turn overs. Yes Canterbury earned penalties but Bury held firm and then countered with rapier like accuracy.
Corcoran blew a glorious chance to win the game when he ignored the two men outside him to kick ahead, whilst Eddison’s rampaging break could not quite be finished off after another thrilling Bury attack.
The fifth try came in the last minute of the game. Bury stretched the home side once more and although Lord could not quite get over he did earn Bury an attacking scrum. Brendan Mitchell peeled off blind and had enough pace and power to drive his way over.
Canterbury are a formidable side especially on their own turf, to win in such circumstances was a fabulous achievement, topped off by the Wolfhounds also beating their Canterbury counter parts 29 – 15 on the neighbouring pitch!

Team selection

Team selection has not been published for this fixture yet.

League round up

Other National League 2 South results

Henley Hawks
Worthing Raiders
Tonbridge Juddians
London Irish Wild Geese


Loading comments

League table

# Team Pl Pts
6. Tonbridge Juddians 30 86
7. Worthing Raiders 30 81
8. Bury St Edmunds 30 77
9. Henley Hawks 30 73
10. Canterbury 30 72
11. Clifton 30 63
12. Old Redcliffians 30 58

Team sponsors


Club sponsors