Club app icon

Pitchero Club

The official Bury St Edmunds RUFC app


1st XV - Match centre

Bury St Edmunds
Sat 9 Dec 15:00 - RFU National - National League 2 South Full time Attendance 409

High Flying Falcons so nearly grounded.

Bury came oh so close to toppling the undefeated league leaders in a pulsating game that showcased all that is good in National 2 Rugby.

National 2
Bury 34 Chinnor 37
Bury came oh so close to toppling the undefeated league leaders in a pulsating game that showcased all that is good in National 2 Rugby.
The hosts outscored the visitors 6 tries to 5 but the boot of Jon Bentley was the difference as his 15 points proved decisive.
The game hinged on a pivotal moment in the 64th. With Bury trailing by just 5 points, they were camped deep in the Chinnor 22 but one over-elaborate pass too many allowed Kierran Goss the chance to scoop up the ball and sweep down field. The influential full back was stopped but Bury were powerless to prevent scrum half Gliksten darting make it 34 – 24 to the visitors!
At that point in the match it was Bury that were in the ascendancy and had they remained more composed they may well have pulled off a dramatic win against the unbeaten league leaders.
The visitors arrived at The Haberden brimming with confidence having not lost all season. Bury on the other hand had been battered and bruised the previous week at Reading resulting in raft of changes to the line up.
Early pressure from Chinnor saw them earn a penalty which was kicked deep into the Bury 22 and after a couple of catch and drives were halted, there was no stopping prop forward Jack Gilding from crashing over.
Bury quickly got back on terms, a sweeping counter attack resulted in a penalty try being awarded. On consultation with his touch judge the referee sent Chinnor centre Jamel Hamilton to the bin and upgraded his initial assessment of a try to a penalty try after he was found guilty of blocking a Bury players run to the line.
It really was end to end stuff. Bixby’s intercept set him off down field but when the move broke down Chinnor swept back up field and Ramshaw was on hand to dive over in the corner. 7 – 12
Again Bury got back on terms! The tenacity of the Chinnor defence was proving difficult to overcome despite Bury looking threatening out wide. Finally the oracle was cracked, Kohler sped through the smallest of gaps, Bixby did well to be up in support and his speculative pass found Corcoran in space for a cracking try.
Chinnor however would have the last say of the half. One of several dangerous breaks by Full Back Goss finally earned his side a penalty close to the Bury line. The simple kick at goal was declined and instead a scrum was taken. The initial drives were halted but scrum half Gliksten peeled off the side before slipping the ball back inside to Oliver for the score.
If the first half had been good the second half was sensational!
Bury came out all guns blazing and by 53 minutes were in the lead!
The deep restart was chased well forcing the visitors to have to drive their way out of their own 22. The pragmatic approach would have been to kick, but Chinnor were punished for declining this as Corocran intercepted a pass to race in unchallenged by the corner flag.
Bentley did get his side back in front when this time Chinnor did decide to take the sensible route when awarded a penalty in front of the posts.
Back came Bury again, Kohler twice instrumental in getting Bury on the front foot. Chinnor this time were forced to concede a penalty and the ball was kicked to just inside the visitors 22. The line out was won and the forwards gathered round Eddison to try and drive him for the line. Initially the move was stopped, but as the Chinnor players began to splinter off the maul, The Wolfpack swept forward at a rate of knots to thunderous approval and another try in the left corner. 24 – 22 to Bury!
Bury’s game plan was to play at high tempo, not giving Chinnor the chance to get organised in defence. A couple of times it cost Bury when quickly taken penalties might have been better kicked, but it made for exciting viewing. Chinnor however, did elect to kick for territory when Bury were guilty of having men offside and it got them back in front. Although the line out was overthrown, they knocked Bury off their own ball at the resulting scrum and sped the ball swiftly to the dangerous Lamont to dive over. Bentley’s extras put The Falcons 29 – 24 up.
The league leaders were clearly unnerved and despite playing some quality rugby for 60 minutes they were struggling to contain the wide play of Bury
Bury refused to be undaunted and were causing Chinnor real headaches. Yas Browne continually made the hard yards down the middle of the park whilst out wide the Bury back 3 were proving a real handful.
When it seemed for all the world that Bury would score, they pushed too hard and Gliksten’s counter attacking try looked to have clinched the match for Chinnor!
Chances came and went for both sides, The Chinnor forwards looked to have the edge over a tiring Wolfpack but the speed of Kohler, Lord and Corocoran was causing all sorts of problems in the other direction.
Back to back tries by the Wolfpack had the visitors rocking. First Eddison and then Corcoran were sent in for scores once again in the noisy Grandstand corner. Crucially the conversions from the touchline could not quite be taken and it left the match tied at 34 points a piece with 10 minutes still to play.
Chinnor were in unchartered territory as defeat was a clear option confronting them. However Bentley got his side on the front foot and then calmly stroked over a penalty after Bury came in to the side of a driving maul.
It did not stop Bury from launching one last counter attack, but when it mattered most The Falcon’s defence held firm and a penalty for holding on allowed Gliksten to kick the ball from the field.
What a game!

Tries. Pen (11), Corcoran (27, 41, 70), Eddison 53, 68
Cons McBride 2
Tries. Gilding (8) Ramshaw (13) Oliver (37) Lamont (61) Glikson (64)
Cons Bentley 3
Pens Bentley 2

Attendance. 409

Bury St Edmunds.
Brown, Bixby, Smith, Scholes, Swithenbank, Stanley, King, Browne: Anderson – Brown McBride, Corcoran, Rouse, Kohler, Affleck, Lord: Res: Beales, Uri, Eddison, Harrison, O Reilly.
Bingham, Hutchinson, Gilding, Ramshaw, Manning, Oliver, Bordill, Bradley: Gliksten, Bentley, Chesters, Dancer, Barnes, Lamont, Goss: Res: Mason, Price, Waddingham, Green, Hopkin, Hamilton

Team selection

Team selection has not been published for this fixture yet.

League round up

Other National League 2 South results

Tonbridge Juddians
London Irish Wild Geese
Henley Hawks
Worthing Raiders


Loading comments

League table

# Team Pl Pts
6. Tonbridge Juddians 30 86
7. Worthing Raiders 30 81
8. Bury St Edmunds 30 77
9. Henley Hawks 30 73
10. Canterbury 30 72
11. Clifton 30 63
12. Old Redcliffians 30 58

Team sponsors


Club sponsors