Club app icon

Pitchero Club

The official Bury St Edmunds RUFC app


1st XV - Match centre

Bury St Edmunds
Sat 14 Apr 15:00 - RFU National - National League 2 South Full time

High Flying Falcons so nearly grounded!


Bury suffered an agonising defeat away at promotion chasing Chinnor.

National League 2
Chinnor 28 Bury 27
Bury suffered an agonising defeat away at promotion chasing Chinnor!
The Oxfordshire side are guaranteed a Play Off place but still entertain hopes of gaining automatic promotion however on Saturday they were fortunate to escape with a victory after Bury had led for 75 minutes.
Bury can feel pretty aggrieved that all their endeavours were not rewarded with a famous scalp. Yes Chinnor had the edge in the scrum and used it as their primary attacking weapon, but 4 Yellows and 2 Penalty Tries awarded against the visitors was hard to stomach.
The Bury players, all 20 were used, put in a real shift against much larger opponents and can at least take solace in bringing 2 points home.
Bury were in the face of the hosts from the off and when Chinnor laboured the ball away from the first scrum, Mark Kohler intercepted and raced 50m away to score by the sticks after just 3 minutes.
If that was a good start it just got better 8 minutes later! Sam Bixby was to the fore in gaining turn overs and when another turn over was won, King, Mitchell and Ashby in turn made good ground to get Bury into the 22. Bury remained calm recycled well and put Ross over in the corner. 12 – 0 in as many minutes.
Chinnor were stunned but they decided to go to strength to get back into the game. A series of catch and drives culminated in a penalty try being awarded and Yas Browne being shown a yellow for his part in pulling the maul down.
Bury refused to be put off their stride and they never allowed Chinnor to properly clear their lines after the re start. The hosts were penalised for jumping early at a line out and off darted Ashby. Kohler received the ball 12m out and farce reigned when his delicate kick through was missed by one defender and fumbled by another to allow him to drop down on the ball for a second score. Honeys fine conversion made it 19 – 7 and that lead was extended when he knocked over a penalty after a high tackle was finally punished.
For the last ten minutes of the half Chinnor again when back to strength. A couple of dubious penalties gave them an attacking scrum position 18m out….A series of scrums ensued, with the referee marching Bury 10m back at one point to put them under the posts and sure enough the Chinnor No 8 was able to get the ball down amongst a morass of players.
The Falcons got off to a positive start to the second half and again a string of penalties were awarded against Bury which allowed them to camp on the Bury line. Scrums were taken, Bury creaked, a Yellow was shown to Kohler for midfield offside, and then finally the hosts rumbled over from close range to make it 22 – 21 after Bentley’s fine conversion.
Bury’s luck was just not in ….typified shortly after the restart when a long down field kick by Chinnor was deemed to have been knocked on by Honey. Again Chinnor revelled in trying to turn the screw at the scrum. Bury defended for their lives and managed to survive the 10 minutes without conceding.
Kohlers return helped get Bury going forward and they were unlucky to concede a penalty for driving into their own men after once again winning the line out. It really did seem to be not their day as they tried to hang onto their slender lead. Referee Collins once again punished Bury for high tackles and off sides when it seemed Chinnor could do no wrong.
When Bury got the ball they always looked dangerous and King, Honey and Ashby combined to almost grab Bury’s 4th try but the final pass to Kohler just bounced forward. Chinnor kicked down field, hounded Bury into conceding a scrum and this time Sam Bixby was shown a yellow for allegedly kicking the ball out of a wheeling scrum.
The inevitable catch and drive score seemed certain but this time the referee spotted obstruction by the Home forwards and gave Bury the chance to escape. The penalty was kicked to almost half way. The line out was won and then the Wolfpack gave the Falcons a dose of their own medicine, driving the ball fully 20 metres. Playing with a penalty advantage, Bury declined the chance to kick at goal, but kept running the ball. Ashby alertness saw him scoot down the blind side and found Will Scholes home alone on the left wing!
The lock cantered home and tried to get closer to the posts. The bonus point earning 4th try in the bag but crucially Honey missed a reasonably straight forward conversion. Had the kick gone over, it would have meant Chinnor needing to score twice to win with 9 minutes left. Instead they only trailed by 6 points and had the chance still to win!
Chinnor won the re start and again Bury were penalised for offside. The ball was kicked to the corner and back to square one with Chinnor trying to drive over. Ashby was the 4th Bury player to be shown Yellow as a desperate defence tried to stop the inevitable score. The bigger Chinnor forwards drove and drove again and although it looked like a score would happen in the corner, Referee Collins ran under the posts to award the penalty try and a one point lead. Heartbreaking!
Still Bury refused to accept their fate and with just seconds remaining the 14 men made one last push. The Wolfpack edged their way over half way and into the Chinnor 22. It seemed for all the world that Bury were setting up a Drop Goal attempt for Fraser Honey but when the ball came back to him the ball was instead sent wide but a sloppy pass forced a Bury knock on. Chinnor won the resulting scrum and gleefully kicked the ball into the stands for a nervy win.
The result seemed so harsh on the battling Bury players…They had put in a real shift, played for 40 minutes with 14 men and seen two penalty tries awarded against them yet still came oh so close to the win.
The players can take tremendous heart from this performance and can look forward to welcoming Champions elect Cinderford to The Habereden next Saturday.

Team selection

Team selection has not been published for this fixture yet.

League round up

Other National League 2 South results

London Irish Wild Geese
Tonbridge Juddians
Worthing Raiders
Henley Hawks


Loading comments

League table

# Team Pl Pts
6. Tonbridge Juddians 30 86
7. Worthing Raiders 30 81
8. Bury St Edmunds 30 77
9. Henley Hawks 30 73
10. Canterbury 30 72
11. Clifton 30 63
12. Old Redcliffians 30 58

Team sponsors


Club sponsors