Club app icon

Pitchero Club

The official Bury St Edmunds RUFC app


1st XV - Match centre

Bury St. Edmunds
Sat 8 Dec 15:00 - RFU National - National 2 South Full time

Bury so close to stopping the Pilgrim’s progress!


The City side did just enough to hold off a pumped up Bury side to earn the spoils and keep their promotion campaign intact.

Bury St Edmunds 14 v Canterbury 20
The City side did just enough to hold off a pumped up Bury side to earn the spoils and keep their promotion campaign intact.
With 4 former Wolfpack players in their ranks, the visitors were always going to be in for a feisty reception but despite Bury producing one of their best displays of the season, they held on for the victory.
The match began to a backdrop of swirling winds and heavy showers. After a scrappy start, Ollie Best opened Canterbury’s account with a penalty after Bury were adjudged ot have come in the side of a ruck on just 6 minutes.
The lead was quickly cancelled out by Catuogno who landed a simple kick after pressure from the Bury set scrum earned the penalty.
Much of the game was being played on Half Way, with neither side giving anything, making their opponents scrap for every inch of territory they gained. Great work by Ritchie and Robinson at the break down allowed Catuogno to edge Bury ahead.
Wiltshire thought he had scored for Bury after a great kick chase by the Wolfpack put the right winger in space, but he just put a foot in touch before going over the line.
Then it was Canterbury’s turn to attack and they laid siege to the Bury line only to be met with outstanding defence. There is no doubt, a few weeks ago Bury would have crumbled, but they are a different outfit now. Having weathered the storm, Cam Ritchie escaped the clutches of the City Men to race 40 m towards the visitor’s line. The attack was stopped, but only at the expense of a penalty and Franco Catuogno made no mistake, 9 -3 to Bury.
Despite the lack of clear cut chances for both sides, it was still a pulsating game, both sides continued to tackle ferociously. The Pilgrims did manage to get on top towards the end of a half and after a series of plays following a penalty, Full Back Aiden Moss ghosted over on the cusp of half time. Best’s fine conversion made it 10 – 9 at the interval.
The restart did not go to plan for Bury. Ollie Watson completely mis timed his challenge for the ball in the air, injuring himself in the process. He was also fortunate to only be shown a Yellow Card for taking out his opposite number in the collision.
Not long later Canterbury declined an easy kick at goal after Bury once again were deemed guilty of coming in the side. This time they kicked to the corner and after a series of drives, Prop Forward Kenny was driven over. Best defied the swirling wind to convert from the side-lines to push the visitors out to 17 – 9.
If Canterbury thought the early score would give them breathing space, then think again! Tom Brown was once again to the fore as Bury drove Canterbury back in the tackle to the point where they coughed up the ball. Ritchie once again led the break out and this time it was Bury camped in the opposition 22.
Now it was Canterbury’s turn to start conceding penalties and the largest cheer of the day from the now raucous Haberden crowd, went to old favourite Sean Stapleton when he was shown Yellow for a cynical challenge.
Bury made the extra man count! Having kicked to 22m line the ball was driven in field before switching back left to find Prop Forward Pat Robinson with just enough time and space to force his way over by the corner flag.
There was still nearly 20 minutes to play but Canterbury refused to be rattled by the fired up home side, they stuck to their game plan, didn’t panic, remained composed and actually generated a penalty for Ollie Best to land.
A six point lead was never going to be enough for Canterbury relax and the two sides continued to pile into each other at a ferocious pace. As the clock ticked down one wondered whether Bury could grab the score to steal the victory or would the City Men score to seal the deal.
As it turned out, neither could as the error count at the set pieces went up and the defences continued to stay on top. Bury tried one last time but it was not to be and Canterbury happily kicked the ball from the field to end this enthralling encounter.
When is a defeat not a defeat? The performance of Bury to go toe to toe with the leagues form and second placed side made it certainly feel that way. A bonus point was the least Bury deserved and they can hopefully look forward to forthcoming weeks with renewed vigour and confidence.

Bury: Cautogno, Wiltshire, Kohler, Leng, Sharpe, Ritchie, Limlei.
Robinson, Francombe, Hill, Graham, Scholes, Brown, Watson cpt Browne.
Res. Torpey, Coutts, Grey, Button, Hasenlechner

Canterbury: Moss, Macintosh, Sterling, Best T, Grimes, Best O, Smart.
Cooper, King, Kenny, Corker, Cadman, Whetton, Stapleton cpt, Stephens.
Res. Braithwaite, Otto, Green, Murray, Edwards.
Bury. Try Robinson 54 Pens Cautogno 3
Canterbury. Tries Moss (38) Kenny (45). Cons Best 2. Pen Best 2

Jet Force Man of the Match. Pat Robinson

Attendance. 403

Team selection

Team selection has not been published for this fixture yet.

League round up

Other National 2 South results

Tonbridge Juddians
Worthing Raiders
Old Albanian


Loading comments

League table

# Team Pl Pts
1. Rams 29 134
2. Canterbury 29 121
3. Tonbridge Juddians 29 115
4. Henley 29 115
5. Taunton Titans 29 99
6. Bury St. Edmunds 29 68
7. Clifton 29 66

Team sponsors


Club sponsors